Witching Metal Webzine

Witching Metal Webzine

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fondlecorpse Interview (2009) Conducted by Adrian Hanekom‏


1. Greetings Sly! Thanks for finding the time to do this interview! How are you
feeling today? Have you fed any posers to Krite lately?

I am good man, and oh we have to feed him a few everyday to keep him satisfied
you know how it goes. We expanded our Krite legion so we can easily stuff a
ton more posers down their gullets!

2. Please tell us what is your definition of death metal is, do you think
Fondlecorpse fits this description?

My idea was always wicked double bass and nice guttural vocals and loud and
brutal as fuck. To me death metal is anything like Autopsy, Impetigo, Carcass,
Morbid Angel, Bolt Thrower, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary. Sounds like that then
your talking death metal. I always consider us playing death metal from the 90’s
style wise partly because that is when I honed my own style.

3. Your lineup during your debut album didn’t include a drummer… what were the
reasons for you not being able to find someone?

The reason was pretty much nobody was to be found back then that could do a good
double bass or death metal style drums, at the time death metal was still
crawling back upon it’s own two feet and getting back to strength, so not many
people were to be found into the style we played if at all.

4. Holland is definitely a country that has had a lot of great death metal bands
(duh), what are your all time favorites? Are there any new upcoming bands that
the mutants reading this should know about?

My all time favorite would be Dissect and their album "Swallow Swouming Mass"
fucking killer album. Then you always have bands like Pestilence, Sinister, Old
Gorefest, some new bands that are cool Warmaster, Supreme Pain.

5. “Blood and Popcorn” was supposed to be a split between Frightmare and
Fondlecorpse, but with Frightmare pulling out, the split was released as a
Fondlecorpse EP… weren’t you disappointed with them pulling out, man?

Well it is in the past, I rather see it as it’s own release. We had recorded
the album they went on hiatus so we went ahead and released it as a Mini CD.
These things happen all the time. We had our stuff recorded and done so we went
ahead and put it out as a standalone release and I think it came out great. 
6. Even though Frightmare wasn’t part of “Blood and Popcorn”, I really love this
release. Great memorable songs with a variety of catchy, fuzzy, and brutal
riffs… what’s not awesome about that? Are you happy with the result? Looking
back, is there anything you would have changed?
Well after the split was cancelled we just turned it into it’s own release and
the split ceased to exist and we turned it into it’s own monster. Thanks, man,
glad you dug it. The release was a good learning experience, sound-wise it could
have been more defined but we learned from recording then and there, I think it
came out good but we perfected our sound more on the new album, each release we
try and top the last one. 
7. One thing I’ve always had trouble with Fondlecorpse, was deciphering your major
influences, as you guys really do add a unique personal touch to the music.
Which albums or bands have been the biggest influences on your songwriting?

Thanks man and that is the idea, bands influenced me but I never styled myself
after someone in particular. I would say the old bands influenced me stylistically
but sound-wise I always tried to keep it unique and my own style that does not
copy any other band out there. We might walk the beaten path but we walk it in
our own way. Two bands who influenced me were Autopsy for the sleaze and
Impetigo to how to run a band they are a big part of who we are but they
influence me more idea wise the feel of those bands the soul of the music which
is very important to me that every song radiates something special. 

8. Even though Razorback Records has released some landmark albums in the past…
lately, there has been a lot of talk about the bands being too “cheesy”, 
what do you have to say about this?

Cheesy is just a word, everybody has their opinions and it is pointless to fight about it. 
I make music that comes from the soul if people want to say it is cheesy then so be it,
 a lot of the great pioneers of the genre were also cheesy actually all the classics pretty much were 
cheesy which is something most forget. 
How do you survive if you take everything too seriously, life is hard enough as it is. 
Who isn’t to say that I just wrap my madness in a cheesy wrapper maybe what we do is a lot more
 fucked up than most bands hmmmmm could it be true? welcome to the twilight zone!
9. Over time I have come to find out that you’re a HUGE fan of cult horror movies,
which movie have you seen that is the most creepy, evil, morbid, that would be
a perfect movie to play Dismember’s “Like an Ever Flowing Stream” to?

For that album I would choose "Braindead" because of the everflowing stream of
blood in that movie, if you ask me for creepy morbid flicks......... I am hard
pressed to find an answer I am kinda jaded it takes a miracle to creep me out
or make something feel morbid. But one movie that creeped me out as a kid was
"The Entity" an invisible entity that keeps raping and molesting  a woman
and has an eerie voice when she goes back in the house she just fled from and
the entity says "welcome back bitch"  that gave me some creeps
at the time haha also because supposedly it was based on a true story and it
wasn't brought as a funny movie but serious. No idea if it still would this day
have to refind it and watch it. 
10. You guys have recently started playing live shows, are people “getting” what
you maniacs are all about? Do you have any insane live stories to tell us
about?

Yeah we are slowly setting up gigs and mini-tours, we didn't play a lot just yet
but so far the shows went great people dug it and understood what we are going
for, headbanging , fist pumping and pits have been witnessed so I would say,
mission accomplished. No insane stories yet, sorry.

11. Do you have any stories related to the Red Light District that you’d like
to share? Hehe

Sorry to dissapoint haha. I haven’t even seen it in person myself, mainly these
days it’s just a tourist attraction, with import hookers behind the windows,
not too special for us but I guess everywhere else in the world it’s a big
thing. I imagine its fun to see once in your life but I heard Amsterdam is
trying to clean it up and destroy it all like what happened to 42nd street in
New York replace it all with neat and tidy Disney stores and what not.

12. To be brutally honest Sly… I actually don’t own your latest “Creaturegore”
album yet… how is this album? How would you compare it to your previous
efforts?

The new Full length is our best release to date and people seem to all love it,
it combines all we learned during the former releases, it has better riffing
better structure better sound, we upped the ante on each and every facet of the
band. I still enjoy everything we did so far but this release is definitely the
best we did so far and the most insane. I would say it is a pinnacle release
for Fondlecorpse. We put a lot of time and effort into this album and it paid
off, it is everything we wanted it to be and we are very happy with it.

13. Can you give us an idea of what to expect from Fondlecorpse in the future? I’ve heard your working with a label called Oakking Records, am I correct? If so, what are planning on releasing through them?
 
We are slowly getting ready to start work on a follow up album trying to make it bigger better more insane. Expect us to always try and up the ante just a little bit more and push the boundaries of what we are able to achieve. That label is actually from a friend of ours who helped release the first seven inch records. We have not worked with them for ages and probably won’t anymore unless we some day wish to but there are no plans to do any releases with them in the near future.
 
14. Alright brother, that’s all for now. Take care mate, until we interview you again! The stage is yours to talk some shit or to let us know something that I left out in the interview!
 
Well thanx for the interview and good luck with your zine, and anybody interested in our sorry asses can head over to www.myspace.com/fondlecorpse and come check it out. 

No comments: