Witching Metal Webzine

Witching Metal Webzine

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

SHARKBASTARDTERRORCULT Interview #2: Morbus Chron



SBTC:
Okay, let's cut the crap and jump into the interesting cool shit going on with Morbus Chron.
I've read that the debut album recordings have been completed and that there are new shirts released on Dybbuck. So far, so good.
As of now, you've signed with Pulverized for the release of your debut album, right? Give us some details regarding this and what we can expect from it (the album, that is).


Morbus Chron:
Thanks for cutting to the crap! The album contains nine songs of paralyzing sexiness. A sexiness that is only beaten by the cover-art by Raul Gonzales (I'm serious, if you haven’t got a hard-on when you see it you can go and kill yourself). If you've listened to and digged the Splendour-demo or Creepy Creeping Creeps you're not really in for a big surprise (a couple of the demo/EP-songs also made it to the full-length). We play the same way, although I dare to say there's been some progress. A few of the songs are trying to distance themselves from the typical old school death metal masturbation and venture somewhere we haven't been before. But in the end it all sounds like we've always sounded, like a disturbing mixture of shit, piss, puke and a stolen autopsy-riff. More info will come shortly. Finishing the layout as we speak.

SBTC:
The Swedish scene has puked several GREAT new acts and most of these have released at least one album. Now, this is by no means a competition, but would you say Morbus Chron's debut will be right there next to stuff like Cult of Lazarus, The Horror or even Breed Deadness Blood?

Morbus Chron:
I'm a big fan of Breed Deadness Blood and that's the one of the three I hold the highest. We're satisfied with the album and it's the best we've ever sounded, but if people will put us up there with Vanhelgd or Necrovation I really don't know.

SBTC:
I loved the random short intro growls at the start of each song on the EP. This attitude is some of the weird shit I definitely dig. Is there gonna be stuff like it on future releases?

Morbus Chron:
Haha, we haven't got a growl-introduction to every song on the album if that's what you wanted. There's some bizarre humor in the texts though that'll satisfy your sick pleasures. We like to keep it not so serious. But that doesn't mean we're good people.

SBTC:
There's an online video clip for the song "The Hallucinating Dead". I suppose the burlap sack cultists featured in it are the band due to the YouTube account connections. Is this an official video clip? Or was it made just for shits & giggles?

Morbus Chron:
We're really proud of that fine piece of art. It was actually a friend of Dagge (the bassist) that wanted to film us for a school-project. He had an idea for a music-video and we totally went with his vision. It was a great time, Morbus Chron playing in the Swedish snow. We bought lamb hearts, made our own torches and sacrificed a dude to the devil. I mean, if that isn't a candidate for the MTV's video awards I will be very, very angry.

SBTC:
Who's the fucked-up-in-the-head numbskull who draws your art? It looks like it was drawn by a 7 year old under the influence of drugs, Lovecraft and zombie movies. Genius.

Morbus Chron:
We've had our fair share of fancy artist working on our stuff. Everything in Splendour of Disease was drawn by Mille Hökengren of the band Whore (You should check them out, great shit! myspace.com/whoreflesh). I guess that he is the 7-old you're talking about 'cus he has got that childish feel to everything. Totally dig his stuff and he's a close friend. For the EP we wanted something else and we crossed paths with Rafal Kruszyk (Although Edde did the inside-art!). Who hasn't worked with that guy? You can see his work everywhere. Anyway, he's great and easy to get along with. The album-cover is drawn by the dude Raul Gonzales. We found him when we were out hunting for an artist to do the full-length. The first thing I saw was this fucking psycho painting of some weird as netherworld with eyes, fissures and fire in the weirdest colouring you ever saw. That became the cover-art. Another guy who draws amazingly sickening stuff is that fella named Putrid, we chose between him and Raul. Next time maybe!

SBTC:
I am not sure about this, but you've only played inside of Sweden. Are there any plans for a tour elsewhere? Have you got any offers yet?

Morbus Chron:
Yes we've played a bunch of times, but only in Sweden. And yes, people have offered us gigs elsewhere. The other guys (this is Robba writing by the way!) want nothing else than to tour the world. So the problem has always been me. I have a terrible stage-fright and to be honest I don't like playing live. A couple of months ago, just after the album was recorded, I took a well needed band-break. We sat down and I told them I didn't feel alright, cus I didn't... We had two shows in about a week and man I was down and stressed and felt like I had the world on my shoulders. So in the end I (we) canceled the shows. Right now I'm trying to work out myself, I want to be able to do this fully but at the moment I can't. The psychological torture I go through before each show is something I can't take... Ye, it sucks and I've gone to fuckin' therapy for this crap.. But enough about my fuckin' personal problems. I get mad just talking about it. Next question.

SBTC:
Name 5 of your current favorite albums.

Morbus Chron:
Aaah, this was more relaxing. My current top 5. Lets see... I hope this doesn't only count for death metal albums? Anyway, here goes. I'll even do a list. They are so good I don't have to explain why.

1. Darkthrone - Goatlord (Frostland tapes-version)
2. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
3. Obliteration - Nekropsalms
4. Anal Cunt - Picnic of Love
5. Arzachel - Arzachel


SBTC:
10 ravioli cans or old school death metal? Pick one.

Morbus Chron:
That's not fair... That's like giving free pork to a Jew. Overload of the mind. If I really had to choose I'd pick the death metal. I can still buy spaghettiOs.

1 comment:

Astus said...

Argggghhhh, I think this is the best Morbus Chron interview I've read so far. Well done, mate! Great band, really... and cool blog. I've been going through most of the stuff you've published and it is damn cool, good portion of reading.